Old 09-04-2014, 07:47 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  
jdooner

Anattaboy - would you have abstained having known intellectually what you would eventually experience if you had a report that mapped things for you to begin with? Herein for me lies an important question.

Is this not what some religions do? The Mormon religion abhors alcohol for religious purposes, as well as swearing, sexual relations out of wedlock, etc. Is this not using fear to "save" those from entering Dante's Inferno? In a way this approach, which has been practiced for much longer than AA is a way to cast a board net to protect a few, is it not?

I wonder how many would believe this? I lived in Utah for a few years. I soon realized there were "Jack Mormons" who rebelled against the strict preachings of their parents. These were the kids that experimented with the unknown - a dance with the devil if you will. My friends. Some became addicts but not all.

Is this not the question of faith? I mean if you believe and I mean truly believe then you would never touch alcohol or drugs and therefore would never know if you were indeed an addict.

I find moderation such an interesting yet foreign concept to me, not just with drinking. I guess this once again highlights my true addict nature. Why limit something that feels good? If one is good is two not better?

Why is moderating important when dealing with a poison? Alcohol in moderation is all about social interaction. I mean alcohol is a diarrhetic, offers no health benefits and adds empty calories to a diet. Other than the social acceptance associated with alcohol I fail to see the benefits. Unless of course you are deficient and alcohol is providing something...in a way self medicating. I wonder how many alcoholics and addicts are actually dopamine deficient and using our shared DoC to self medicate? Here is where I believe science may help with addiction. Being able to determine if for example a B6, B12, Magnesium supplement may provide what alcohol is providing from a neurological perspective?