Old 09-04-2014, 06:55 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  
jdooner

Originally Posted by Arbor8 View Post
To play devils advocate a bit I think a lot of people stumble on to this site because they think they might have a problem. After some time and research they determine they are not alcoholic. Just problematic drinkers. Don't you think it's possible for these folks to use this site and information to seriously cut back, limit their consumption radically changing their lifestyle?

I'm not speaking for myself btw. I voted no.
Someone criticized one of my posts bc I used Google to search some info, lol. In today's age of instant gratification and information, we need to acknowledge that self diagnosis is a big deal. It happens daily. This has led to massive wealth creation in big pharma, particularly now with advertisements. Most Drs are overwhelmed with Google Drs. as patients telling the Dr. what their ailment might be and what their prescription needs to be. In this same context, many find this site in my opinion as the first steps towards recovery. The anonymous nature offers protection, and the access anywhere offers safety for those concerned that they might have a problem to get more information. Not everyone that graces these pages is an alcoholic - that is just fact. Some might be able to return to moderate drinking. However, if the question is can the alcoholic or addict every return to normal use defined by moderation, well that is a wholly different debate.

I find this entire thread simple. It is providing a rather obvious result from a rather loaded question. To me what would be interesting is the science behind regrowth of grey matter or the ability to form new neuro pathways. In this sense it would then be interesting how one could over time rewire our brains. To me as a recovered alcoholic and addict, I find this discussion to be more academic, as I am creating a sober life and have no desire to ever go back to where I was at. I would also imagine that if I damaged my own brain and pathway systems over say fifteen years then it would figure it would take roughly the same about of sober time to fix things. By that time, I can't imagine ever desiring to go back and tempting the life that one creates and enjoys from being recovered. So it then becomes moot.

Therefore, my conclusion would be this entire thread is circular in nature.