View Single Post
Old 09-02-2014, 10:09 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  
FeenixxRising

Originally Posted by dwtbd View Post
The comments section of that link demonstrates the double edged sword of the disease model of addiction. For those with the disease there is little or no chance of a cure. Most of the comments condemn the man's future based on his past and they feel this is the way to view alcoholics. Sad really, I know accepting that mode of thought kept me from attempting recovery for a long time.
Unfortunately, the guy has some pretty horrendous consequences due to his drinking past, and it's something he will probably have a very hard time living down, even after he's sober for a number of years. But he deserves sobriety, even if it's only so that he's no longer a danger to other drivers and himself. And perhaps he can find a way to redeem himself. Helping others to avoid driving drunk and killing someone would be one way; I'm sure there are others.

My consequences were minimal compared to this guy, and I'm well aware of that skeptical look I receive when I tell people I've quit drinking. So I can understand why most people would think this guy has a snowball's chance in hell. The only thing most of us can do to prove our worth is to stay sober. My past actions have made my words almost meaningless. The only way I can get the message across is by my actions. And I'm fine with that.