Thread: Recovered
View Single Post
Old 09-01-2014, 09:56 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  
jdooner

Originally Posted by haennie View Post
In the context of recovery from addictions though, I do see the point pretty strongly to make it definitive and say it's better to develop a view that allows us to be over with it and get beyond the problem mentally and in our actions. But there is just so much associated with being an addict and having an addictive mindset than substance use, and I don't see it simple to recover from all that easily. Not saying it does not happen but I personally don't feel being at that stage here and now. I also have no problems admitting that perhaps my view is at least in part due to fears of commitment in general terms, but with not drinking, my decision is certainly the "forever" kind.
I consider myself recovered in the sense of AA's 12 steps. However, I believe like you that this journey is a continuum. I don't believe its a destination. This is difficult for me. I have always been goal oriented and focused on achieving that said goal. Recovery is the opposite for me in the sense that its not black or white. It is teaching me to live in the gray and this is really difficult for me to do.

Also, I still get thoughts. I just returned from our vacation home and even though I was reflecting on the past year, the days after my post when my best friend joined my family with his two kids and was ordering martinis at dinner, it was tough. I could feel the creep of the sirens song about a longing of having just one. Having succeeded in quitting for a year on my first quit, surly I could have just one drink.

I didn't and won't because I know its a mirage and illusion. I was not saved from some deity but I did work my steps 10-12 and tried to post on here to provide service and reflected through meditation and a daily journaling. I can chuckle too when these thoughts flow into my mind. My awareness is allowing me to observe what else is occurring in my life that is allowing these thoughts to manifest. Sure enough, there are relationship/marital concerns that were occurring simultaneously.

My point in all this is I think being honest, open and willing are pretty key. Being recovered from a certain state is achievable. However, it does not mean that I am completely fixed. Sometimes I hear guys talk about how they never think of a drink again - maybe...I call BS on this though. I do think time will make it more palatable but having a thought it okay. Acting upon it is what I am recovered from.