Old 08-31-2014, 04:37 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  
YoungAndClean
Saved By Grace

From what I'm hearing, only the individual can take the necessary steps to break out of their active addiction. Our HP will help us manage it on a daily basis and will not abandon us. But he/she/it will not allow us to ever drink successfully again and I find it fascinating how we end up having to sponsor others, attend meetings, and keep spiritually fit otherwise we will die either quickly or slowly. I guess asking God to restore me to someone who no longer needs to manage his alcoholism like diabetes would be like asking God for a million bucks. My HP won't reverse that line I crossed years ago in my youth when all my friends drank and I thought I could quit anytime I want.

My prayer would be something like this:

"Dear higher power, you have seen the way my mind relentlessly promotes having a drink. God you have seen how I have over the years become an alcoholic because I have been unable to say no too myself and my brain which seems to want a drink morning, noon, and night. God, I believe that you are all powerful, and I know for you to remove my desire for drinking would be extremely easy for you. If you gave me freedom from the bondage of my disease, do you not see the amazing life that I would be able to live from here on out? How my mind would be free to think about hobbies, relationships, animals, etc. You have seen me suffer for so long, please intervene and take away that dysfunctional part in my brain that day after day whispers to me that a drink/drug would improve whatever situation I am in. Surely you did not create me to suffer, and believe me, having a brain that is out to kill me and harm my loved ones, is suffering. I am tired of this disease, and I wish to have the burden of addiction permanently removed from me. -Amen

Its sad how nothing in life is free, as soon as the addict/alcoholic said this prayer they (in my opinion) would be drinking/using within a day or less and then end up in jail or rehab where they would be taught to believe in a higher power. Sadly ironic. And I can't tell you how many homeless men and women I've met walking downtown who know so much about the Bible yet live in slavery.