Thread: disheartened
View Single Post
Old 08-31-2014, 11:16 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
cookiesncream

All great advice here given. As I mentioned on another thread of yours you're most likely to see the gloom and doom stories here because this is where people reach out in crisis. Wanting a crystal ball into the future is common, unfortunately they don't exist.

I don't know if you're into reading but here's my most recent read that is a success story.
"Drinking: A Love Story" by Carolyn Knapp. She beat a twenty year addiction. Once she got very serious sobriety stuck and this book is her journey and how she beat it."

There's Roger Ebert another well known success story: My Name is Roger, and I'm an alcoholic | Roger Ebert's Journal | Roger Ebert

Go find some Alcoholics Anonymous meetings, look for ones that are listed as "open" and ones that are speaker meetings. You will hear stories of people that beat their addiction. Did it "stick" the first time in many of these stories? Nope but you'll hear how and what did.

I'm sure that there are many other ways to find those happy endings. Again though, as so many others have told you, what will happen in your particular situation is out of your hands. Work on YOU. If there aren't any Al-Anon meetings in your area to your taste do a Google search and I know that there are a TON of phone in meetings daily available through their parent site at various times of the day.

Best,

Cookies