Thread: disheartened
View Single Post
Old 08-30-2014, 11:07 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
OnawaMiniya

Originally Posted by spia View Post
I keep reading all of these threads wanting to find some glimmer of hope. Something that will show me that an addict can be in recovery. Something that does that families can be together again and that it doesn't end in ****. But, I am not seeing it at all. It seems like every marriage ends in divorce. Every relationship is broken and not to be fixed. It's very scary for me to see this. Because I want my marriage to work but I see people are constantly relapsing. Is there really no hope? None at all?
Here's the thing: you can place all of your hope on statistics, or you can choose what is best for YOU.

Do some quit drinking, and go on to actually work on themselves to gain the strength needed to build the coping skills they need that they used drinking to replace? Sure. Do some actually go on to live a great, happy life with their family? Sure.

Does anyone really know for sure who those people will be? No.

Base your decisions on your health, peace, and happiness, and don't base them on waiting for something you have no control over.

If, for example, you decide to leave them, and then they prove to be one of those people who gets it together - truly, I'm not talking about becoming a dry drunk - then great! Maybe you can try again, after they have proven themselves over a good, long chunk of time.

But, then, how do we know they won't relapse one day? We don't know.

The good news is (well, kinda lol), nothing in life is certain, is it?

So again, do what is best for you and your kids, if you have them.

Don't depend on another person for your happiness.

It is within you, not without.

Good luck!

Peace.