View Single Post
Old 08-30-2014, 08:03 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  
soberjuly

I just wanted to say, can you eliminate another bad habit but one that is not so bad?

After I quit drinking, I quit anything with aspartame (NutraSweet). It is in things like Diet Coke and Diet Pepsi and it's really bad for the health. In fact, it makes you never feel full so Diet Coke actually makes people gain weight.

Anyhow, I quit it about 2 weeks after I quit alcohol.

Now when I go out, that is my naughty habit and it seems to be working.

At home I only have Zevia soda which is sweetened with Stevia. Most alternative diet sodas are sweetened with Sucralose or Splenda which also has issues. Zevia is the one soda sweetened with Stevia. It tastes okay and I've got my husband also drinking it.

My point is we have an alcohol and aspartame ban in our house, meaning we just don't have it in the house.

So last night, I took my girls to the drugstore and after we did our shopping we wanted something cold to drink. This drugstore sells wine and hard liquor. Tons of wine and bottles of vodka, gin, rum and etc.

I got a Diet Coke. That was my evil treat. It seems to be working as maybe I'm just a rebel without a cause, I don't know, but it seems to work.

It's the lesser of 2 evils.

Maybe it's silly but I just got it into my mind that that would be my new "treat".

And I am sitting outside a dry cleaners waiting for it to open at 8am because I forgot to bring my sons dressy clothes to the cleaners and he has a semi-formal event to go to today. I could never have gotten out of bed this early on a Saturday if I had chosen a bottle of wine last night.

But, that said, I had a horrid Diet Coke addiction. I just love it and I know it is bad news. So it was a big addiction. You may not have any other bad habit to kick but I thought I would throw it out there as an idea. Just to find another reward.