View Single Post
Old 08-28-2014, 07:17 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Fly N Buy
Trudgin

Your tipping point???

Nine years ago today we were on the Eve of a hurricane that changed many peoples lives forever. I rode the storm out in my home which is 100 miles NE of New Orleans. Each area that the storm effected was somewhat different.

By us, it was wind - up to 100 mph sustained for many hours. At one point around 1pm CST after the 3 or 4 tree fell on our house, I thought there was a pretty good chance that today was the day.....Our home, like many in our area, was surrounded by many large trees. By grace, we emerged unscathed in body.

After the storm passed the work began in 90 degree heat with no electricity - just generator.

OF COURSE, I did stock up on booze and beer.....

The next several weeks were 24/7 of clean up and survival. Gas lines, rumors of all kinds of crap - home invasions etc. were the daily existence.

As I reflect on this time today, it dawns on me that may have been my tipping point with alcohol. I think that is where the line got crossed for good. I always drank heavily, but this was different. It seems during this period booze went from something to self medicate my misery to more like that feeling you get when you haven't had a glass of milk in awhile and you are then refreshed by one>>>> AHHHHH

Since that point and up to 81 days ago the gas petal was to the floor - always.
This is not any sort of excuse, but simply an observation.

Was there a tipping point you can reflect on when booze changed from a really bad habit to life itself?????
Let us also reflect today/tomorrow on those whose lives have changed in an instant due to horrific weather events or other cataclysmic happenings.

Thanks for any thoughts or replies.