View Single Post
Old 08-27-2014, 09:30 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
matt4x4

Originally Posted by Katie88 View Post
After a short while of sobriety and AA I am feeling disappointed. I've met some great people in AA and have really taken joy in hearing their stories about their own recovery...and then they relapse. It seems hopeless sometimes and I am beginning to think maybe AA and online recovery groups my be discouraging for someone who is trying to quit drinking. What if someone a young person gets attached to (in early recovery) disappears and goes back to their old ways? I know that a huge part of recovery is establishing relationships with peers and mentors who have been through the same struggle, but what is there to do when those people suddenly disappear on you because they went back to drinking? I am a sensitive, compassionate person and i am finding this aspect of the recovery community difficult. Any thoughts or experiences are welcome Thank you!
Its sad to say that the recovery these days is very low. How low, at best some say 5%. Why? Because the message in AA is very diluted aka watered down. People share abut their day, about their family, work, traffic is a classic one. When the message is focused on the solution to alcoholsm and recovery, based out of our common text book and we lose the manure thats spread in the rooms of AA, then the odds get dramatically better. There is a 75% recovery rate for AA, if you follow it out of the book. Once we start switching things up, changing things around, doing any step that begins in 1, taking our time, doing a step a year, faking it until we make it then we revert back to a dismal 3-5% recovery rate. Its sad, but its a reality. That is precisely why I do not attend certain meetings at all, I go to meetings where I know for a fact there will be solid AA members there, with a solid AA message, and there are always newcomers there, always. The message at those meetings is focused, sure I will attend the odd random one, beginners meetings primarily, gotta spread the message.