View Single Post
Old 08-27-2014, 09:47 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
MIRecovery
A Day at a Time

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
I think it's sad that people in the program do not reach out to newcomers because they themselves do not want to get "hurt" when/if a newcomer slips.

It is said in meetings that the newcomer is the most important person in the room, but it sure doesn't feel that way as a newcomer. No one reaches out, no one asks for your phone number, no one acts like they actually care. The mindset in AA is the newcomer has to do all the reaching out. That's damn near impossible for someone coming off alcohol who has disabled themselves through isolation. Then multiple people talk to them after the meetings

Now I read here that all those people who acted like I didn't exist were so fragile in their own recovery that they couldn't/wouldn't take the chance of being friendly to someone because there is a chance that new person might relapse? WOW. That's enlightening. Ego preventing the 12th Step. Apparently it isn't really all that important to help the suffering.

Good to know. I'll be fine without AA. I don't think that is a good tactic to help the newly sober. I feel they need kindness and understanding and friendship.
I have been to a 1000+ meetings and have never seen one like you describe. Sorry for your experience but it is not representative of the meetings I attend. Every new commer is given a big book, a new commer packet, and lots of member phone numbers plus numerous people talking to them after the meeting