View Single Post
Old 08-26-2014, 06:47 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
MelindaFlowers

Originally Posted by SoberHoopsFan View Post
"Highly functioning" and "heavy drinker" are oxymorons. What you think is high functioning is not even in the realm of what a person that doesn't drink considers high functioning. You can't see that when you are in the midst of the addiction, but there is no such thing as "high functioning" when you are a drunk. Every aspect of your life is being held back by alcohol, when you drink enough, it pervades everything. I used to describe myself as "high functioning" during most of my drinking days, but that thought process was pure addictive voice convincing me that the way I drank was not a big deal. Looking back, I see that the way I drank and lived was utter lunacy.

The good news is there is a whole 'nother world out there that is available to you if you stop drinking. It's not a world I knew about or understood when I was an active drunk. It's full of hope and possibilities. It's freedom.

Welcome aboard, you can do this. You have to want it, but it can be done.
Amazing points Soberhoopsfan,

I really like what you said about how our view of what is "highly functional" doesn't even resemble what a non-drinker, or dare I say, high motivated person would see as "highly functional."

Highly functional people exercise for at least 30 minutes a day. They have stellar credit ratings and not a lot of debt. They arrive early to work. They take part in hobbies. They save their extra money for retirement, college funds, a vacation fund. They probably are on a pretty consistent sleep schedule. House is clean. Car is clean.

Highly functional people wouldn't dream of being drunk all evening. They would consider it unhealthy and a waste of time. It would get in the way of actual functional activities. Great point hoops!