Thread: FMLA rules
View Single Post
Old 08-25-2014, 09:00 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
ScottFromWI
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by TaiCarm View Post
Hello,

I'm new to the site and sorry if I missed any threads already answering this question. I recently took a 30-day FMLA leave from my workplace, went through detox for a couple days, and stayed sober the 30 days doing AA meetings and counseling. However, I didn't last long once back at work before I relapsed - I've been drinking about a week. I'm wondering if anyone knows - is my employer required to give me more time off under the FMLA laws if I need it or can they just say "no, you had your chance, now you're fired"? I'm finding it hard to stop drinking again and I know it's affecting my productivity, so I want to find a solution before I start getting reprimanded. I feel like just getting a few days off would be enough to get me back to meetings and counseling again.
There are many different variables, but FMLA does allow for up to 12 weeks leave in a 12 month period in certain circumstances. It would be best to ask your employers Human Resources dept.

Regarding your current drinking, what exactly would you do if you got a few days off?