Thread: Mindware Gap
View Single Post
Old 08-25-2014, 06:45 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Nonsensical
Hears The Voice

Mindware Gap

Currently reading a book on Warren Buffet. The author cites numerous times where Warren (arguably the most successful investor of all time) describes himself as not more intelligent than other investors, but more rational. The author then set about describing rational thinking. In doing so he gave a synopsis of a book by (Nobel Laureate) Daniel Kahneman called Thinking Fast and Slow. (Which is now on my list of things to read.)

Kahneman describes two types of thinking in the human brain, referred to as System 1 and System 2. System 1 thinking is mostly reflexive. System 2 thinking is more rational. Kahenman's hypothesis is that reflexive thinking is both easy and useful - but so much so that people tend to get lazy about thinking things through. Their minds find the quick and easy answer and they stop thinking. Thinking slowly and rationally requires extra effort and people tend to avoid it.

The author also addressed a mindware gap, which Kahneman believes is frequently present in people who have demonstrated difficulty in shifting from System 1 to System 2 thinking. From the reading, a mindware gap results from inadequate education or experience. You lack the grist required to mill some rational thoughts.

I found the descriptions of these phenomena to correlate to how my brain was working with respect to alcohol. I was stuck in System 1 thinking - taking the shortcut answer to feeling better (and drink). After filling my mindware gap with readings from this forum and some additional suggested literature I can now more easily shift from System 1 to System 2 thinking and find the best answer when my amygdala shouts out a suggestion to drink alcohol.

So, thanks, SR (and especially the Secular Connections Forum) , for helping to fill my mindware gap.