View Single Post
Old 08-23-2014, 11:53 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Neumena

Sorry you're going though this...I've recently been coming to terms with the fact that my GF of over 2 years is an alcoholic as well...this one sentence struck a chord with me cause it sounded so familiar...

Originally Posted by Nenya View Post
He says to me that I dont understand what it is like
I get that all the time...granted, she's had a rough hand dealt her...chronic illnesses, getting screwed over by guys in the past, etc. But really, that's such an utter BS excuse. No one really understands what it's like to be anyone else, and in the end their self-destructive, addictive behavior is the problem. While it MIGHT be helpful to know their past, to know the reasons "why," putting up with an addict isn't any easier if they suffered some terrible trauma in their life or have had an easy ride the whole way...and the real reason why will always be their addiction. But then again, logic and reason need not apply for addicts.

I'm hoping my GF will seek treatment and we can build a life together, but that hope seems to dwindle on a daily basis. In the end it's up to you to decide when enough is enough and move on.