View Single Post
Old 08-23-2014, 12:53 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
KariSue

Originally Posted by Lovemykids125 View Post
Thank you everyone for all of the feedback. I am seeing a counselor at the end of the month because clearly there is something wrong with me for staying with someone who is doing drugs for over 6 years of the relationship. I hope this will help. I guess what bothers me most is he feels now that I am the one who needs "fixed" since he is off the drugs now. I work at a drug rehab and this seems to be the issue almost all addicts when they get clean have this sense of entitlement that makes them feel like they are never in the wrong anymore bc they are sober.... It is so frustrating to me because it makes him believe everything he did is wiped clean. Maybe I am not angry because I have also been in the wrong talking to other guys in the past seeking for attention I wasnt getting because all of the attention was on the drugs. But I have also adapted, as many codependents do, to the addict. We become in denial about things just as the addict does, we become numb to things and don't hold sentimental value to anything anymore just as addicts do... We shut down our emotions instead of trying to fix them. It is very unhealthy but it is what we know best and that's all I have known for 6 years or I wouldn't still be with him today. It's just sad I feel like I try so hard maybe a break is best for us... I just feel very unappreciated and like I am muted out to him. I feel I am more depressed than happy nowadays
Good for you for seeking counseling. I think that is a great idea that will give you peace of mind.

Kari