Old 08-19-2014, 07:22 PM
  # 290 (permalink)  
courage2
p***enger

Hello from NYC!

Welcome to keeppushing! Whether you’re new to SR, this thread, or just coming back, it’s great to see you here!

Congratulations to ANewDayNYC on that huge first month and to all, for today!

Here’s the list of those who’ve made part of their commitment to sobriety include posting on this thread from about 8:30 p.m. EST August 18 to 8:30 p.m. EST Aug 19:

1newcreation
afloatsober
airwick
AlcoholFree66
altoids
Alysheba
ardy
aussieblue
BarbieKen
Beanie25
calico
Carlotta
Cascabel
casinva
charleesavedme
Chrissy2014
Cleomie
Coldfusion
courage2
DaneK
deadpie
Dee74
erfra7
FacingFuture
ForMeForThem
FusterCluck
Gilmer
Goat
Grateful11
grtgrandpa
gvrecovery
HeartsAfire
Hevyn
j808
jsm273
Jupiters
Kaneda8888
keeppushing
Kiya
Kris47
Macali
michaels_w
Missy7
Mountainmanbob
NewLeaf
Panacea
petals
redwings12
Robin66
SnowDawg
sthlondonab
tgirl
tootsl1
veryready
VikingGF
wiscsober
yukonm
Zencat

Today’s flower: the night-blooming cereus. There are several species known by that name. They all bear large white blooms that only last a few hours or one night. One variety Peniocereus greggii grows abundantly in the wild in the Sonoran Desert where I used to live, looking like a pile of dead cactus all year until one night and one night only they all bloom at once. I remember my father grew one of a different variety, probably Epiphyllum oxypetalum , and the night it bloomed he got everyone in the family out of bed and took us all down to see it in our pajamas.

This is a time-lapse video (or link if you prefer) from bud to withering of the species Selenicereus grandiflorus. Nature seems to feel like it’s worthwhile to create something that’s so briefly beautiful – why do we demand so much more from ourselves and others?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIurjtiyZMY