View Single Post
Old 08-18-2014, 06:18 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

It seems that most of my life I just wanted to be "normal" and like everyone else. My father died when I was very young and at a time when most kids I knew had 2 parents (how things have changed).

I wanted to be accepted in school and when I graduated and went to work, I fought for my career in a world where women didn't hold "responsible" jobs. (how things have changed).

When I struggled with my sons addiction, I knew I wasn't "normal", my home was neither normal nor healthy.

I was a one-lady freak show and very unsettled with it all.

My meetings and recovery helped me get to know "that stranger called me" and more than that, I became proud of the person I had become. The one person who, more than anyone else, put me down most of my life...was ME.

Today I embrace my life even though it may not be the life I once dreamed it would be...but the good news is that for all my losses along the way, I have gained courage and strength and confidence to be the person I am and stand proudly for what I believe and who I am.

Life didn't change, my family and friends didn't change...I changed. And that has made all the difference.

Hugs