Thread: That was tough
View Single Post
Old 08-17-2014, 06:04 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
DayTrader
12-Step Recovered Alkie

I was told/taught to share, as Music said above, honestly.......from the heart......about what's REALLY going on in my life right now.

It's easier to share (and for me, a cop-out) about "when I was new....." or "I used to......" It's a challenge to talk about what's going on now - mostly because it means I have to break through the BS facade I want to put up that leads ppl to believe I'm doing everything perfectly.

I used to listen to some open talks (more like lectures......done by a therapist) and in them this guy talked about EVERYthing. Stuff I would NEVER have mentioned at the time. Listening to him though, and noticing I was nodding my head in agreement and hearing the ppl at the taping laughing in agreement made it a easier for me to feel safe and start trying.

When I speak honestly......about what's goin on in my life with the step, principle, or whatever the topic is......I feel more like I've been to an AA meeting. When I BS ppl, hide the truth or try to impress ppl, I usually come away with a lot less relief.

Keep it up. Sounds to me like you're doing it just right.