View Single Post
Old 08-17-2014, 06:40 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  
Choobie

Good Morning! I know I'm new around here, but to those who are starting over on day 1 or day 2-fantastic! Great job! You came back. Every day counts! Don't get discouraged.

I was thinking the other day about how my drinking had become a compulsion and it reminded me very much of smoking cigarattes. I quit about 8 years ago and there was a lot of stops and starts. But I can't imagine being a smoker now. Being in a room full of smokers doesn't make me want to smoke at all and I don't miss it one bit. But back then, it felt as though I was losing my best friend and I felt very awkward in social situations. There was an adjustment period. But never taking another puff really did make a difference to my life and my health and the effort I put into quitting definately paid off. Quitting drinking will also pay off-big time! No doubt about it. But it might not be easy.

Last night was my husband's and my "big night out", a plan that had been made 6 months ago. The kids went up to their grand parents for the weekend and we worked around the house and planned to have a special dinner out. It was such a great feeling to put on a nice dress and take some time for myself that, for once, didn't include numbing myself. After dinner, we went for a nice long drive and went home to watch a movie. This was a huge victory for me. Going out with my friends or going to a restaurant or bar isn't a big trigger for me, but spending time with my husband has been the biggest trigger over the years. I constantly think that we'll grow apart or he won't love me if we don't drink together. But self love and confidence are attractive, too, I found. I put some extra thought into conversation topics so that our night would be interesting to both of us. Now I can remember what happened last night, and I'm not losing today to a hangover. Woooooo!

Have a great day and keep up the good work!!!