View Single Post
Old 08-14-2014, 02:39 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
FreeOwl

It's tough.... especially, it seems, as we grow a bit older and move around a bit and find that those around us have lives, partners, established friendships, jobs, routines.... it can be really challenging to find our way into those circles.

I moved back to a place I'd grown up. A lot of people I'd known years ago, but very difficult to break into their cliques of friendship. They'd stayed, I'd gone... I was an outsider.

I found an interesting connection by going to a place I discovered that had open sharing nights. Poetry, song, storytelling, sharing artwork. I'd gone to observe but wound up participating. I discovered that sharing art, music, creative pursuits with others is a very intimate and personal thing. I learned that all of us - in one way or another - are creators. And there is a deep and intimate sharing and bond that happens when we open ourselves and share with others.

Maybe this is a theme you could explore. Perhaps there is some creative calling in you that you've long secretly wanted to honor. Maybe there's a poetry group in your area you might try out. Perhaps a community theatre group or an art class. Maybe there is some creative pursuit that you've never really thought about before but is available near you and you could give it a try. Also book discussion groups. Or maybe hiking clubs or cycling clubs or other such fitness or athletic group. Look for some sort of activities that bring people together for purposes other than alcohol and which have the potential for there to be real sharing and connection. This may be scary at first, but you may find it very rewarding and even healing.

I discovered a lot of great friendships this way... so wanted to share that thought.