View Single Post
Old 08-14-2014, 02:07 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Soberpotamus

Originally Posted by awuh1 View Post

If the choice of program does not matter, why is SR here? Just to help people feel good as they are recovering, but supplying no real assistance? If it's just a matter of an individuals motivation, then what other conclusion is there? And what if the individual does not stay sober? Do you point a finger at them and say "It's your fault. You just were not motivated enough"?
The choice of recovery program does matter, Awuh. Saying that a desire to be sober underlies most programs and most good recoveries doesn't preclude saying that there's a "better" recovery program for an individual.

And I also think many here on SR would disagree with your statements about the efficacy of SR. No real assistance? Lol. I won't even go there.

Is it a person's fault if they drink again? Absolutely. Where would the fault lie otherwise?? It's MY drinking and the repercussions of that drinking that got me sober eventually. Not the failure of a person or a program. Not a particular circumstance.

Am I an addict? Absolutely. And addict's like their drug of choice. It is 100% my fault and responsibility if I drink again.