View Single Post
Old 08-13-2014, 01:17 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Meraviglioso

Back to feeling grand!

Good morning sober friends. It is a grey, muggy morning here but I woke up feeling great and sober. On to day 2 here. I can't wait to stack up the days like last time and then of course go beyond.
I won't go as far as to say my relapse was a good idea. The best idea is obviously nor drinking. However, this one happened after a nice, solid sober period. In the past I would just start drinking full on again after 1 or 2 days. This time I had the opportunity to see a glimpse of what sober life offers. I also had the opportunity to evaluate what being drunk feels like and what having a hangover feels like with a fresh perspective. I had been living in a constant state of drunkeness/hangover so that was kind of baseline for me. After 12 days sober getting drunk was a shock and the hangover the next day was frightening.
Last time I came on here and quit I had all the resolve in the world. This time I have all that resolve and peace. Previously I had accepted that I was an alcoholic and accepted that I had to fight this with all my might. Now I have accepted I am an alcoholic and no longer think of it as a fight, I just plain give up. I don't want to fight anymore. I am at peace. I cannot drink, I never will again. I mourned this loss last time, but this time I feel happy to shed that weight and just get on with things.
I know that my moods will change, I will have ups and downs and challenges and temptations and cravings. But for now, for the past days I have felt great and I want to enjoy this peace I feel until the storm comes. I know it will. But like they teach you about swimming in the ocean, it is much worse if you flap around and swim strongly and try and fight the current and waves. The safest way out is to relax, save your energy, let the current take you to an opening and then swim your way out calmly when the time is right.

Have a great day everyone. We can do this.