View Single Post
Old 08-12-2014, 04:52 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
wellvoice

Great advice here. I wanted to make another point: Travis, I may be wrong, but it sounds as though your SO has basically given you an ultimatum: Sober up in order to keep the relationship? Of course you value your relationship and this will be one of your motivations to stay sober. But I wanted to caution you to pursue a sober life for the right reasons: What are YOUR motivations for giving up the booze? You need to get in touch with the reasons inside YOU for choosing a better life or you will most likely do this with resentment and fall down.

Please try this: Grab an A4 sheet of paper and write down four headings: 1. Pros of drinking 2. Cons of drinking 3. Pros of living a sober life. 4. Cons of not living a sober life. This is a very powerful exercize that will help you to build up the motivation inside of YOU and will set you up for success.

Just for the record, I tried to get sober for a relationship once. I only resented it and it didn't work. This time around, I'm doing it for ME with no pressure or judgement from anybody else.

Hope this helps.