Thread: The Shakes!
View Single Post
Old 08-10-2014, 01:26 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
DisplacedGRITS
Crazy Cat Lady

Good deal! The first time i admitted my problem to a medical professional was when i checked myself into an ER for detox. I couldn't find a bed at a treatment center and i was desperate to stop drinking and not die so i walked in to the ER. I realized later that i'd walked into an ER that was in a hospital right next to the highway on the evening of the first heavy snow. I felt horrible. There were ambulances coming in with people who were hurt from accidents and i was there because i was a drunken lush. I thought the staff would hate me.

I was amazed at my treatment there. I was honest and ashamed but they treated me with a kindness that broke my heart. They smiled, they were happy for me and they took wonderful care of me. I didn't value myself at all but they found something worth working on in me. I can't say that i stayed sober after that medical detox but i can say that i was never again ashamed or scared to admit to a doctor that i'm an alcoholic and i need help.

When we go to a doctor for help with alcoholism, we are usually going at a very low point. We look at ourselves and all we see is failure and worthlessness. When they see us, they see someone who has decided that they need to change and is finally reaching out for help. Where we see an ending, they see a beginning. We give them hope and they give us help. They see one less person who is going to die from liver failure or an alcohol related injury. They see someone who is giving up one life for an all together better new one. Personally, i like meeting a new doctor and sharing that i'm a sober alcoholic. I've always been met with smiles, encouragement and help.