Thread: Memory blackout
View Single Post
Old 08-06-2014, 11:26 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
soberjuly

Originally Posted by JustB View Post
every single time I've ever drank in my life I lose my memory.

I'm scandanavian, it seems to vary with ethnicity.
I'm Scandinavian and from Minneapolis (no surprise there I guess). I have had blackouts but it's very rare. Probably less than 5 times in my life. In fact, the last black out, July 11th, caused me to quit on July 12th because I hadn't blacked out for years. It really scared me. If anything, I think being Scandinavian gives us a higher tolerance but it also depends on height and weight.

Now, the Am. Indians, of which there are the Sioux in MN, have a really low tolerance for alcohol as if evidenced if you go to downtown Mpls. So there is something to said there but I think people of Northern European descent have a higher tolerance than say, Asians and Am. Indians.

My mom never drank. She said it was because we had so many relatives with a drinking problem and they were all of Swedish and Norwegian descent and they could drink hard and heavy.

My grandmother, 100% Norwegian, never had wine or beer in the house, just vodka. It was always vodka and OJ. I don't have any memories of her being a raging drunk but she loved her screwdrivers. She lost many siblings to alcoholism, so my mom used to say we have the alcoholic gene. So she wouldn't touch it. Still won't. When we would look at old pictures, my mom was like, oh he was an alcoholic, she was an alcoholic...about almost everyone. Everyone loved their drink. My cousin, well 2 cousins, have destroyed their lives with alcoholism.