Old 08-05-2014, 12:33 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Aellyce

Hi Cabo, I am not infusing anything negative into your posts. Reading this thread, these mental states in question remind me of what I also like to describe as "detachment" and for myself at least, discriminate this from another state that I like to call "non-attachment". The difference between the two is that for me, "detachment" is a rather maladaptive self-defense mechanism/ attitude when I feel overwhelmed by things and I shut down emotionally, kind of conserving my resources, not wanting to truly face the world/problems. It is forced control and minimalism. This, for me, is most often an anxiety-driven psychological reaction. You know, when people say someone is aloof? I had a very strong tendency to behave this way while drinking. I think it's different from what they call "dissociation" in psychiatry.

Non-attachment is something else, it's not an escaping attitude, more the opposite. For me, that state also involves a radical acceptance of reality, myself and everything that comes with it, it's selective involvement and actually often intense connection with the world and others, without clinging to anything in particular. It is pretty effortless, natural, and relaxed, and represents more giving up control and giving up enforcing boundaries. It also involves wanting to actually deeply participate in the world without getting lost and with minimal expectations and attachment to outcome. I would also describe this state as quite enthusiastic and fascinated, with no hint of apathy.

Not sure if any of this is relevant to what you are feeling? I am quite prone to both of these, but obviously the goal is more what I call "non-attachment". Just associations to your posts