View Single Post
Old 08-03-2014, 04:09 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Meraviglioso

I agree with you doggonecarl. I realize that I am walking a thin line. But I think what is different this time is that I have finally come to the place where I am absolutely ready to stop. My prior attempts, even if I wanted it desperately did not come from a deep place within, there was always a part of me mourning the loss of drinking. Don't get me wrong, it is not easy this time, but there is a determination that I haven't known before.
In the past I also grouped in all the activites that included drinking as what I was quitting, and that was of great pain to me. This time I am focussing on the fact that I am only quitting drinking alcohol. That doesn't mean I cannot do the things that I love (which often involve alcohol, such as a dinner party) I just can't drink while doing those things. I never attended a concert without drinking, I never danced without drinking, I never sat on the beach without drinking, I never hosted a dinner, lunch, brunch without drinking. Wow! What a fabulous surprise to find that not only is it possible to do those things minus the alcohol but for me, they are actually more enjoyable.
Sure, I would love to enjoy the perfectly paired wine with the gourmet meal I prepared r am eating in a restaurant, but I'm an alcoholic and I just can't. It doesn't mean I can't eat the food or enjoy it.
But again, I repeat, I am not suggesting this "jump right in" for anyone who might have a different sort of struggle, just putting my own experience out there for what it is worth. As an alcoholic I totally understand and support any path any of us take to get and stay sober- no matter how you have to do it, that is the right way as long as it results in the same, shared goal- sobriety.