View Single Post
Old 08-01-2014, 04:15 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  
PurpleKnight

Sometimes I think of the phrase "cast the first stone" when I think about my own alcoholism!!

Did I quit alcohol immediately when I first realised it was affecting my life? no chance, I denied there was even a problem for a long time, and then when I started to come around to the idea that I may need to reassess my drinking, I then started to try and moderate and control my drinking, that then continued for a long time, until finally I made the decision that abstinence was the only answer!!

But from drinking, to realising there was a problem, to finally becoming Sober, I am literally summing up a period of YEARS!!

So the idea that someone looking in on addiction could flick that switch and reach a quick fix is unrealistic, when in fact the addict themselves may not be able to do it either!!

In fact if it was that easy, what would be the point of SR? is it time to shut up shop as it's easy? how about we close the whole Forum down? no point in wasting time on something so easy!! (I exaggerate to make my point)

My point is it's not easy, support, time, advice and learning are all required to get people through the situation they are dealing with, and that is fine with me, as god knows I needed a lot of time to sort my own addiction out, so why shouldn't those looking in on addiction warrant the same grace in coming to grips with their loved one's addiction?!!