View Single Post
Old 08-01-2014, 10:21 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Wisconsin

Today is My Fifth Wedding Anniversary

My AH and I have never had a truly "happy" anniversary; he relapsed during our first year of marriage. Last year, he had recently left to work out of state (as I was trying to put myself back together and focus on myself after several months of awful emotional abuse). I was a complete and total basket case last year on this day. This year, he is home. He returned to work locally in early July. He is working 6-7 days a week, 10-12 hours a day, so we don't see much of him. That is good, as he is still drinking.

However...

This year I am in SUCH a better place with myself. Tonight my dad and my brother (haven't seen my brother in almost 2 years) are in town. We will be having dinner together, and then they will be taking my younger daughter on a fishing trip on Lake Michigan tomorrow. I am able to sit here and be a little sad at the state of my marriage, but be deeply, deeply grateful for my wonderful job and my happy, healthy kids. And I am so excited to see my brother! I have no idea if my AH will be joining us for dinner, and unlike a year ago, I won't waste any time today fretting over whether he will or he won't. I am putting my energy into doing my job well, and into getting ready for a fun night with my brother and dad. I'm sure my little guy will be a handful and my older daughter will be glued to her phone all night, but it will be nice family time.

Hope everybody has a wonderful weekend! Sending extra hugs and positive thoughts to everyone who is going through a particularly tough time right now.