Old 07-31-2014, 03:20 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
PurpleKnight

I had the pleasure of being on both sides of the fence, so much so they might as well have constructed a gate in that fence!!

Sometimes my head hurts just thinking about the different stages in my life, it's like my childhood was a completely different life, an age ago!!

My dad was an alcoholic as I was growing up, it eventually led to my parents' separation and divorce before I even hit 18yrs old, people talk of normal childhoods, and I'm not too sure what that even is, for me my parents arguing, shouting, my dad being physically abusive to my mum, being woken up with the noise at 2am in the morning on a school night, being tired the next day, that all came with the package as 2 parents came into conflict as a result of alcohol, at that time my mum did the frustrating, trying to change my dad conversations on mine and my sister's behalf.

Then when I hit my twenties I started to try to rekindle some kind of relationship with my dad, not as father/son, but more a loose acquaintance or friend, it was then I got first hand experience of the frustration and powerlessness of those looking in on someone else's addiction, my dad eventually died, having never admitted his drinking or his actions played any part in the destruction of our family.

Fast forward a few more years, the next chapter in my life was dealing with my own alcoholism, I haven't quite worked out the why's, I almost feel ashamed for not being different, but thankfully I've now beaten my own demons and am now committed to Sobriety!!

Both sides of the fence are different in experiences, feelings and emotions, but just as equally horrendous places to find yourself in, for different reasons!!