Old 07-31-2014, 02:40 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
happybeingme

I am a multi winner as well. Friends and family members that were or are alcoholic and I am a recovering alcoholic as well. Three years ( yay me) Anyway to answer your question I cant completely because I dont know. But, the look in my husbands eyes when I hit bottom will stay with me forever. The fact it took my youngest son almost two years to say I love you too. Tells me a lot.

As far as regaini g support and acceptance from your family dont wait for it. You have to start earning it. With action. Things were so bad here when I finally quit I was grateful my husband didnt through me out.
I dont follow a formal recovery program but felt compelled to make amends to many anyway. One of those people was my eldest nephew. After I apologized for all the times I wasnt there for him and all of my failings I told him

I am going to commit to you that everything I say will be backed up with an action so that hopefully someday you will know you can trust me when I say something.

I work everyday on being the best me I can be and giving the best I can to my loved ones. Hard work? Yep, sometimes. But the rewards have always outweighed any effort I put in