Thread: Starting Again
View Single Post
Old 07-31-2014, 12:53 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Serenidad

I just posted this on another page but thought it might help you. :-) I only have ONE short week but all of the things I listed are really helping! I'm literally taking it ONE day at a time!

Here are some of the things I have been doing that are helping: (in no particular order)
1. SR (this website) I have been posting a lot and getting great support and also reading other peoples posts.
2. AVRT (Addictive Voice Recognition Technique)
3. AA meetings
4. Urge Surfing (just Google it) You can also look it up on YouTube and they have a great 9 minute meditation that helps with cravings.
5. Making sure I eat 3 healthy meals per day (low fat, low sugar)
6. Avoiding caffeine and nicotine
7. Exercising (power walking or biking) 30-60 min per day. This makes me feel GREAT after I'm done! :-)
8. Drinking lots and LOTS of water
9. Taking naps if I need them
10. Getting at least 8 hours of sleep per night
11. Distraction (Netflix, taking kids to movie, walking dog, cooking a new recipe etc etc)
12. Praying
13. Calling or texting sober people
14. Trying to avoid stress, anxiety or anger (which are ALL big triggers for me).
15. Not making any big decisions right now
16. Not changing anything right now
17. Putting my sobriety first (if the house is a mess...it's a mess)
18. Made a list of bad consequences of my drinking
19. Made a list of goals that are only attainable if I stay sober and will make me happy (creating hope for myself)
20. Made a list of the reasons I want to quit drinking

I'm sure there are more but little by little I am doing these things. I really just trying to be gentle and kind to myself right now. I'm treating myself as if I am recovering from an "illness"....which I am.....it's called alcoholism. Best of luck.

We can do this!!!

Sent from my iPhone using SoberRecovery