View Single Post
Old 07-31-2014, 05:18 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

After years of recovery and working hard to maintain a healthy outlook, I still have difficulty letting go of resentments sometimes.

I no longer sweat the small stuff but this past year a family member, one I rarely see or have any need to interact with, has annoyed me until my teeth hurt. This person has taken some money that he was not entitled to from an estate. Not a life changing amount for anyone, and it's not even an amount that I care much about, my life is fine without it (thank you God). This is a matter where drugs and addiction don't exist, he's just a stinker, sober or not.

But the fact that he did this without remorse or consequence annoys me and I carry that annoyance around with me. Others, my husband and other family members made a decision to let it go, a long time ago. They were right. It was a situation where you either waste more energy and money fighting it than you would gain if you were successful.

They are right of course, letting it go is the answer. Holding a resentment is like drinking poison and expecting the other person to die...I have quoted that here for years.

And yet...I struggle.

Reading this today made me decide that I am giving myself 24 hours to think it out, write it out, talk it out with the universe and God, and then once and for all let the darn thing go. *Poof* gone. If the thought reappears I will slap it out of my head and not allow myself to entertain resentment for one more day. It's time for that nasty visitor to my head to go home.

I feel better just sharing this here today.

Hugs