Old 07-29-2014, 09:15 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  
Eddiebuckle

Originally Posted by jsprplc2006 View Post
Indeed, but I'd rather know what it's like at one of those places before I go there myself.
Each meeting is unique, and is a function of experience shared by those in attendance.

I understand the reluctance of some who are suspicious of the hocus pocus nature of a group centered on reliance on a "higher power" to solve their drink problem. I shared that skepticism when I went to rehab in 2009, and had no real intention of going to AA when I was released at the end of my treatment. In fact, I did go to AA meetings after I returned home, and to my surprise ended up making AA a key part of my recovery.

AA does not claim to have a monopoly on sobriety, and the 12 steps are suggestive only. Are there many members of the group who are dogmatic? Absolutely. They are sharing what worked for them.

Some atheists and agnostics seem to vilify AA, yet crave the one on one support it offers. The face to face support of others trying to get sober is the cornerstone of how AA works. Honest and experienced feedback from others who have managed to stay sober is key. There is no patent on this method - why not start your own group, based on your own ideals? Few, if any, who have experienced "the jumping off place" will find fault in any method that helps people recover their lives, utility, and happiness from this disease.

If the scientific method is what it takes for another alcoholic to get sober, I say more power to him or her. Borrow as much or as little as you wish from other approaches to make a program that works for you. AA definitely does not "work" for everyone. Rather than waste time quantifying what you already believe to be true about AA, why not make the proverbial better mousetrap? The need certainly exists.