View Single Post
Old 07-29-2014, 11:05 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Janis

Hello Jay. Welcome to SR. I had the same problem and had to go to rehab to seperate me and alcohol for long enough for my brain to heal a bit and get some education and a reality check of what I was doing to myself. I did an intensive outpatient but if you're really having a problem you might want to do inpatient. I'm not sure if you've gone through it already but alcohol withdrawals can be nasty and this is the one type of withdrawal that you can actually die from. It's dangerous to detox on your own so just be careful.

Most of us suffer from some type of anxiety disorder. I know my anxiety gets better the longer I'm sober. Alcohol is a depressant and it depresses your nervous system so when you stop drinking it spikes for me it feels like the world is ending or there's impending doom. I couldn't even be in a car because I was so jumpy but it's gotten much better.

I wish you the best of luck. Read some of the threads on here that talk about alcohol withdrawal and maybe pick up some literature about the disease. I also go to AA which helps. Remember everyone is there for the same thing.

Early recovery is hard and there's a lot of changes but you can do it.

Best of luck!!