View Single Post
Old 07-28-2014, 03:40 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
GreenPepper

Functional Alcoholic Seeks a Change

Hi All,

I'm 27 years old and an IT professional. I am in the process of selling my first business to a larger firm, and have a promising future as a partner in the new firm. I have managed to do all this while still heavily drinking.

I started drinking when I was 18 or so. By 19 and 20 I was drinking almost every day. At that age, it doesn't really affect you the same as it does now. Fast forward another 7 years and here I am. My problem is that I am noticing stuff start to slip. I find my hangovers are paired with anxiety and sweating etc., so I sometimes reschedule meetings and stuff doesn't get done. None of this has really bit me in the ass yet.

I ran some numbers today. I am spending about $39,000 a year on bars, restaurants, and alcohol purchases which is completely insane. I also calculated that I am losing about 6 months per year being hungover or drinking. Also insane. I need to make a change.

I've been through therapy, and I know where this comes from. I drink out of boredom and wanting to be social. I am a regular at at least 6 bars where I know all the staff and they make me feel good. I the problem here is 2 fold. Almost every one of my friendships is a bar staff, and secondly, once I have 2 or 3, it's difficult to cut myself off. I like to go to the next bar and the next bar until I've had my fill of social time.

I don't want to quit completely, but I have committed to staying sober for the next 4 nights (until Friday) in order to clear my mind and make a plan. I am off to a good start tonight as I have planned various non-bar activities until bed time. I am going to make sure I have a plan for every night this week and this weekend.

If I can live by the ground rule that "I never drink alone"...that includes going to a bar by myself, then I think I just might have a chance. I also know that I need to join some clubs and make some friends that either don't drink, or just do it once in a while.

Thanks for hearing my story,
GreenPepper