View Single Post
Old 07-27-2014, 04:10 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Aellyce

I've also been a hypochondriac at certain times of my life. The worst was when I was heavily drinking, of course. But I did the classic running to the doctors / ER with a panic attack several times, first in my teens. That's how I learned about anxiety in the first place. It can only make it worse that I'm a biologist, so know a bit about physiology and all that. So I can come up with real "creative" ways to identify problems with me. My anxiety is the classic kind, when I mainly tend to worry about imagined problems and projected future "threats", the real problems and even many crisis situations don't tend to cause me troubles much. I also don't have much anxiety about trying new things (more the opposite!) or social situations. But my own imagination can drive me nuts at times. I'm also a very observant and introspective person, and the same skills that make me good at these are the ones that also make me crazy when on overdrive.

The best thing about the hypochondria that I've found in the past was to go and investigate the source of my worries with the appropriate professional, instead of getting stuck in my head. Address it head-on, like you have done also. But NOT in an impulsive way, every time I feel a little something. Scheduling regular normal medical checkups is the best way probably, no need for overdoing it. And I just put my faith in their expertise because I know that my own judgment can get delusional at times when it comes to myself. And shift my thinking and focus intentionally, and do something constructive and worthwhile. Have you ever tried any form of CBT? I took classes in the past and learned some tricks from one of my psychologist friends, but basically kinda trained myself.

Like it was mentioned before, exercise is probably the most effective physical "treatment" for anxiety. Eating a balanced and regular diet, and other healthy routines as well. I also found biofeedback helpful, and interesting.

I suggest that you develop some form of anxiety management for these worries. There is a huge amount of information and programs you can perfectly well learn from online sources. For me, currently a lot of my therapy work is addressing the different manifestations of anxiety that I am prone to, but I had also gone quite far working on it by myself before.