View Single Post
Old 07-25-2014, 11:19 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Nuudawn

Little tougher this week...

It's been a week. Another sober one. Threw away my cigarettes on Monday which was incidentally my 1st month anniversary of my sobriety date. Wednesday night feeling somehow restless and unanchored, I ate a bag of Cheetos, a bag of potato chips, a chocolate bar and some convenience store cup of sour soothers, snakes and jelly drops. Yuuuup. It rained here all day Thursday but I dragged my sorry self out for a run anyway. I really didn't want to but some saying bout self discipline being doing what you need to do when you don't want to popped into my head. The run was spectacular.

I did take a couple steps backward on another "issue" front... but I believe I have "righted" my path again.

Tonight I drove an hour out of town (and over a rather scary toll bridge) to my first LifeRing meeting. It was hard to find parking because they were actually filming a movie scene on the same block as the address I had. I found something not too far away. The meeting locale was basically a refurbished cottage with a community garden out in the back. I believe it is some sort of community learning center during business hours. For whatever reason, it looked to me like the sort of place where the Keebler elves might live. I arrived about 15 minutes before the meeting time and there was no one around. No body standing round smoking anywhere. Bout 5 minutes before the hour, the "convener arrived and I was terribly relieved (having come all that way). Although attendance was small (the convenor explained that meetings tend to be smaller in summer on hot summer days)...it was amazing all the same. It was this lovely, relaxed round table discussion...with great insight and a few good laughs. Despite the distance from my home, I will definitely attend again.

Just getting ready for bed. It hasn't felt like an easy week at all...but I think it's probably been a good one as sober progress goes. It has felt a little more like work this week. Someone at the meeting said tonight, "if you're comfortable...you're recovery probably isn't being worked enough. Probably something to that.

Tomorrow I'm off to a birthday pool party...I suppose that will prove a work out as well.