View Single Post
Old 07-24-2014, 07:06 PM
  # 495 (permalink)  
advbike

Some great posts lately. JD, I also weighed myself down with stuff, not so much to impress people, but because I would buy things to fill that void that Mate talks about. I still have a garage with two cars, a BMW motorcycle and 4 bicycles in it, but I'm slowly reducing the number. It's embarrassing quite frankly and I'm ashamed of my excess, but I guess that's what single guys with alcoholism and unhappy relationships do. Instead of working on the relationship and solving the problems.

I'm still working on my 4th step and it's a lot of work but already I can clearly see patterns of dysfunctional thinking emerging. Mostly because I just think too much, lol, but also as a result of early experiences. Funny thing is I've recognized some of these these patterns for years but been unable to change them. It's really crazy to see how we repeat the behaviors. I really admire you for challenging your thinking and changing your life - I can see that it's not easy to do. As much as I've learned I still find my self engaged in negative thinking, relationship insecurities, and beating myself up. But now I can observe the skewed thinking and resultant emotional reaction. It's crazy.

That must be why I love reading Tolle so much... and hope someday to live as simply, at peace, and in the present moment as possible. I'm a long way from being there, but I guess it's progress we're after, not perfection, lol. I'm off to Southeast Asia again tomorrow. I just love immersing myself in the culture and mayhem there. It brings a totally different perspective and in fact does force one to be more present. Can't avoid it, lol.