View Single Post
Old 07-24-2014, 09:10 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
makomago

Originally Posted by DoubleDragons View Post
I was helping one of our clients at work today, with a third party vendor. Our client wanted the vendor's best advice, so she asked him, "Tell me, Mike, what would you recommend to your mama?"

I said, "Wow, I guess that is a good question to ask."

She said, "Well, of course, because universally everyone loves their mamas."

I said, "Well, probably about 98 percent of the population." (just being wry)

She said very pointedly, "Well, where I come from, everybody loves their mamas."

It made me feel sick to my stomach. I know I love my mother, but there is so much about her that I do not like at all. I felt very shamed at that moment.

Just felt the need to share with others who know where I am coming from.
I get you and admire your response (the "98%" bit).

I'm not sure what would have irritated me most; her statement, her assumption that she knows what everyone thinks, or the inference that everyone (especially me) should... I don't like being told how or what I 'should' feel and to whom (directly or indirectly).

... I suppose I shouldn't now add; Don't feel shame And I won't. I will say that I wouldn't feel shame for it.

For the record I'll add I don't think (but I don't know for sure) that I love my Mum either. I do feel sad for her plight and the fact that her mental problems have plagued her for a long time.

I'm not religious BUT from Corinthians ...

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

I rarely TRUST her, I no longer protect her (in my role as resuer at least) and I am angered by her, so IF that is love then, I guess I don't!!

Last edited by makomago; 07-24-2014 at 09:12 AM. Reason: Typo