View Single Post
Old 07-21-2014, 09:35 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
hopeful4

Alcoholism is also a disease of choice. If you know you have it, you do things to keep yourself healthy. A diabetic cannot eat certain foods, cancer patients have to do what their doctors tell them to do, chemo, radiation, etc. If one makes the choice not to do what they should in recovery they will fail.

Should you be home getting drunk around him? Nope, that is dumb. However, his actions are his no matter what. I would say you are being manipulated. He is trying to say you almost made him relapse. I would expect him to relapse soon, and likely you will be blamed. It won't be your fault, but he will say it is.

I hope I am wrong. You need to see that you did not cause his relapse any more than I can cause the sun to rise each day. Going through a tough time is not permission for either party to be manipulative or mean to the other. If he has issued with your actions, he should calmly sit down and tell you, and you should do the same.

Look, we all have those crazy drama moments in our pasts that we look back at and think, "What a mess." All you can do is try to communicate better in the future. Is your counselor someone who specializes in addiction? If not, that may help you a bit more, or it did for me.

Good Luck to you!