Thread: Buddhism
View Single Post
Old 07-21-2014, 12:07 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
samseb5351

Originally Posted by MesaMan View Post
Excellent readerbaby71! The 2nd paragraph above synchronizes quite well with the superb concept that freshstart57 posted recently re: being Sober in the moment. Break it down. No need to even stress out about remaining sober 'til night time, or any other future, arbitrary point. Just stay sober that proverbial femto-second. I sure don't sweat Sobriety now. It's just not a battle if one side never shows up to fight [the side that wants to drink again]. We were married in a Buddhist Church in a small Agricultural Community. Ag had attracted Asians several Decades ago. One Cultural thing led to another, including establishing this Church. The Colorado Shambhala Center is on the way to our Mountain House. I'll try to make a point to swing by this Shambhala and check it out. One of the toughest lil 'exercises' I've used is just sit still and imagine a burning Candle. Keep the Flame still in your Mind, and not moving in an imaginary breeze. Challenging. To me, anyway. Yes, there is an extreme amount of Signal-to-Noise, as we say in the Radio World, in our Lives. Calm can lead to a state where external 'Medication' is not required. Personally, I can't/won't chase external solutions to Inner Calm, be they innumerable Meetings, or invisible, external forces. These 'Heart of Recovery' Meetings sound like the only Meetings I'd be interested in attending. These beliefs are why I lean into Buddhism.
Thanks Mesaman,

Being Sober in the moment. I feel the same, as may know I was gambling addict, so its probably being addiction free in the moment. You mentioned the sitting still and the challenge it was, can you describe that a bit more for me, like was like your mind firing and dragging you away or was it physical fidgety stuff? or something else?
I would be very grateful to hear more of your experience I will repeat what I said earlier I love the word "lean" it has that kind of not fighting or indulging or hold onto quality, but still remains a word that represents a gentle but dynamic attention.