Old 07-18-2014, 05:01 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
KAD
Left the bottle behind 4/16/2015

Originally Posted by Ready2beSober View Post
We are both equally heavy drinkers. He has multiple DUIs from the last few years, I had one also when I was younger. He's done some jail time for the latest one, I spent a night in jail for drunk in public when we went out a couple years ago.
OK, so you both appear to be problem drinkers. I understand the difficulty of having alcohol in your house, especially early in your quit, but as it has been pointed out, if the other person isn't ready or interested in quitting when you are, you can't force the issue. If he was only quitting for your benefit, it wouldn't last. When you quit, it has to be for your sake first.

My ex-SO kept wine and beer in the house -we lived together for a while - but she was not a problem drinker. Once or twice she had more than what she should have, but the majority of the times she drank, which wasn't often, she only had a glass or 2 of wine. She "marked" her wine bottles and kept count of her beers to make sure I wasn't sneaking any. I don't even like wine, and there weren't enough beers to satisfy me. If she kept vodka in the house, that would have been much tougher.

I'm not sure what to tell you beyond just focusing on doing what you need to maintain your sobriety. He'll either come along or keep doing what he's doing, but it will have to be his choice either way. In the meantime, stick around here. You'll get tons of support. Best wishes!