Old 07-17-2014, 10:07 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  
biminiblue

Originally Posted by Nuudawn View Post
Yikes..people are getting kinda riled here.

You know what...AA rooms are basically a sober little chunk of this world. You are going to find all kinds. How many folks do we really resonate with ya know? I am in the service industry and there are just so many different flavours of people and well, a lot of them are a little annoying.

Just because these folks are sober (although the do have experiences to share)...few in these rooms are walking around with masters degree in psychology (I haven't met an Endgame in my local area yet : ). These folks are just flawed human beings like the rest of us.

I know it is easy, especially as a shaky newly sober person, to think these folks SHOULD have all the answers...but that's not just realistic.

I have an absolutely brilliant therapist. I love her..but ya know what, she has given me advice not fantastic sometimes. Last year, when I was sober and around here a lot. When I was upset because my sister jammed out on a "booked" trip away to a music fest and I couldn't find anyone to go with. She completely encouraged me to go it alone. She said it would be good for me to spend time with "me". I took her advice.

Anyone who remembers me from back then will know I darn near lost my sobriety on that trip. When I came back and told her of my experiences she kinda looked a bit troubled when she said "Oh being ALONE was a trigger for you?".

Uh...ya lady.
She has been "recovered" from drugs and alcohol for like 20 years. She was in the AA program for about 5 of that. She is all up on everything regarding human behaviour and addiction etc from her work.

When you walk into those rooms (or log on here)...just make sure you have your "self" with you. Recovery rooms are about sobriety support..nobody is the wizard of you but you.
^^this.

Nobody is the wizard of you but you.

This is why therapy is a crap shoot, why AA is a crap shoot, why advice from friends and (especially) family is a crap shoot with loaded dice, etc.

A few years ago Sheryl Crowe had a line in a song, "Every man is his own prophet, every prophet just a man." amen, sistah.

No one knows me. Only I know me. I am a product of every single experience I have had in my life. No one can diagnose or fix me. No one else understands me. That is the blessing and curse of being a sentient being.

To thine own self be true.