View Single Post
Old 07-17-2014, 08:40 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
FireSprite

What a GREAT share today Lillamy. I'll keep it going:

We talk all the time about how when WE are healthy, it spills over onto the kids & they are affected by our positive changes even if we don't see the evidence of it every single day. You all know I'm a huge advocate for prioritizing OUR needs in order to be fully present & healthy for our kids & DD knows this too - we talk about it, because I want her to understand the importance of self-care for me AND for her.

Twice in the last 2 weeks, RAH has had last minute scheduling changes with work that were out of his control but which would have prevented me from being able to attend a reiki session & a yoga class because it was impossible (& unfair) to find a sitter on such short notice.

Both times DD's reaction was basically, "hail NO": Both times she packed a bag of activities (e-reader, book, journal, snack) & said that she could certainly be quiet & patient for the time it would take for me to attend my meetings, because it was important for me to have that time & those activities.

Halfway through the yoga class last night, I noticed she had slid off her chair in the corner & had joined in on the exercises (I've been teaching her at home since she was 2).... the instructor had seen her interest, given her a mat & encouraged her to join in. She arrived feeling intimidated because she hadn't thought she could "hang" with a "real" yoga class & left feeling inspired & accomplished instead. And I didn't miss something super important to me, all because she reflected my own words & principles back to me - win/win/win.

(we also signed up to take a tai chi class together at the studio this Saturday, I can't wait!)