View Single Post
Old 07-16-2014, 04:01 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
NewSoberLife

1 week sober!!!!!

Hello Everyone,
This is my first post here and I just wanted to introduce myself and say Hi to everyone!
I started reading posts on here from day 1 of being sober and let me say it has helped me so so so much! So I want to thank you all. I felt so alone in my alcoholism, but finding this forum has made me see I am not alone and there are so many people out there suffering from the same thing as me and it has made me so hopeful for the future.
Today marks 7 days of being sober for me and let me tell you I have come so far in just those 7 days. Day 1 and 2 were absolutely horrible with anxiety, withdrawals etc etc I thought I was going to die and I said to myself I never want to go through this ever again. It has been a tough week. The weekend was especially bad trying to control cravings but I got through it.
I have had many relapses in the past and basically would just always give into my cravings, but this time around I have tried not to fight them. I have let them come over me and then tried to analyze them. What triggered the craving, why do I want to drink? And then I would just remind myself of all the good things that come from sobriety and remind myself of all the bad things that would come if I drank again. And eventually the craving would pass.
I think today is probably the first day I have woken up and thought OMG I feel so happy today!!!! I feel like I have an inner peace, and all the anxiety is gone. Its an amazing feeling, because when I was drinking I just felt so much self loathing and anxiety all the time. To a point that I was suicidal. So its amazing to not feel that.
Anyway just wanted to say hi and talk about my journey so far. Thank you all once again for your stories etc.
Cheers