Thread: Harm reduction
View Single Post
Old 07-16-2014, 05:44 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
yensid

Harm reduction

One of the nurses I work with goes to our local methadone clinic once a month to talk to the pregnant women about what to expect when their babies get admitted to our unit and what the withdrawal process is like.

She's talked with many of the staff there and one of them told her that the clinic strives for "harm reduction" They don't expect their clients to stay clean forever. They are hoping to reduce the number of times they use, the number of times the prostitute themselves etc...

I started thinking about this last night is relation to my AH. Is his "stumble" (his words, not mine) part of the process? Are we looking for "harm reduction" with the A? Is it too much to ask for the A to stay sober forever?

I say no but then I think about my own food issues. I buy a pint of Ben & Jerrys and say I won't eat the whole thing but then the next thing I know, my spoon is hitting bottom.

Not the same because my addiction doesn't interfere with my ability to care for myself and my children.

His sister called herself "Switzerland" yesterday and said he's human and we all make mistakes and I shouldn't end a marriage over it. It really pissed me off but got me wondering about accepting harm reduction.

But in my head I know that accepting harm reduction can lead to a very slippery slope.