View Single Post
Old 07-16-2014, 12:57 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Rosalba

My concern is that he's trying to put the responsibility for his recovery on to you. One of the aims of Alanon, beyond providing support for the friends and family of alcoholics, is to offer encouragement and understanding to the alcoholic - but that's as far as it goes.

I'm also concerned that he's laying down conditions for his recovery - in that he's dictating who you should and should not be friends with. This is a tactic used by abusers of all kinds, to isolate the victim so that there is no challenge to their power. There is a risk that by sharing with people known to the alcoholic, some unhealthy dynamics are set up and they're sucked into the situation inappropriately, but as everyone on this forum knows - discussing the drinking problem WITH the alcoholic will get you precisely nowhere.

If he's being serious about his recovery, the desire needs to come from within him and won't be dependent on your approval or otherwise, and it certainly won't be used as a tool to control you. It's also quite common for addicts of all kinds to cease their addictive behaviour in the short term, to please someone else. But the addiction is a stronger force than that, and it won't be long before the person they're trying to please becomes the 'reason' they start drinking or using again.

In your situation, I'd be looking to take care of my own recovery and become more secure with my own boundaries; one of the ways I keep myself shielded from the vicious outbursts from my alcoholic brother is to let myself know whose problem this really is.