View Single Post
Old 07-15-2014, 02:37 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Nuudawn

Originally Posted by littlefish View Post
As you continue to stay sober, you will notice that not everyone drinks, that people can nurse the same drink for hours and leave social events sober.

You might notice with time that although drinking may be encouraged and accepted in your place of work, there might not be as much of it going on as you think. I was mildly shocked to realize that other people didn't drink like me. I thought "everyone" was out to get smashed. It really isn't the case.
Ya..that was a bit of a shocker wasn't it? In certain social situations there will be that person..sometimes more than one...that drinks way more than anyone else. The one that makes an idiot of themselves. The one that is far drunker that the others..who keeps jumping up to refill their drink..who keeps getting louder...who starts hanging all over people. The majority are in control of themselves...except for that loud, conspicuous fool.

It freaked me out to realize that fool I was watching..shaking my head, mouth agape in sobriety...had been me. Ugh.

One of my last drinking episodes, I attended a mining convention social event with my cousin. I got pretty drunk and ended up leaving the event with my cousin's buddy to go find weed (I would only ever seek that stuff if I'm hammered). Anyways, we got lost away from the party for like 2 hours..trying to find his hotel drunk..then he had to search his room and bags for like an hour trying to find this stupid joint. Anyways, the search was fruitless. I ended up going to Denny's for french fries before heading back to my own hotel to find my cousin.

I had breakfast with a a crew of guys from my cousin's company and they all were talking about what a drunken fool this one fella was. Everybody was talking about how the guy's "problem" was evident to everyone..that it was just sad and pathetic as he was the son of the company owner.

I ate my breakfast in relative silence. I knew my own score..and it wasn't long before I started the ascent back into sobriety.